Disaster response, recovery and resiliency
Clients nationwide count on Hanson to put boots on the ground and assist with emergency planning, preparedness, response and recovery for disasters across the U.S. and beyond. Our integrated team stands ready with experience in emergency management, homeland security preparedness, disaster response, recovery, mitigation and planning.
Since 2001, Hanson has deployed hundreds of engineers, architects, environmental scientists, historic preservation specialists, planners, surveyors, technicians, cost estimators and other professionals to respond to and implement recovery programs through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance (PA) program. We have been involved in planning and recovery from floods, hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes and other natural disasters across the United States, as well as the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Other national organizations, such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, state departments of transportation and emergency management, county and municipal governments, railway companies, utilities and airports, have benefitted from Hanson's resiliency experience.
One member of our staff served as administrator of the Illinois Department of Transportation's (IDOT) Office of Emergency Management/Homeland Security from 2002 to 2017 and emergency manager for the Illinois Emergency Management Agency from 1994 to 2002. Another Hanson team member served as IDOT's deputy secretary for program development, overseeing the department's goals and objectives for planning, programming, innovative project delivery and research policy, as well as preliminary engineering policies involving highway design, bridges, local agency highways, safety and land acquisition, in support of the Illinois multimodal program.
Members of our team also serve as FEMA PA program instructors and hold National Incident Management System certifications in IS-100, -200, -300, -400, -700 and -800; Professional Development Series certification from FEMA; and Illinois Professional Emergency Manager certification.
In addition to the "boots on the ground" support we have provided, our specialized team has contributed to projects including initial development of a statewide critical infrastructure plan with IDOT, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, Illinois Terrorism Task Force, Federal Department of Homeland Security, Illinois State Police, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Illinois Central Management Services, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, Illinois National Guard and Illinois Public Works Mutual Aid Network, Federal Highway Administration and American Public Works Association.
Our areas of expertise include:
- FEMA Public Assistance Program
- damage assessments, including with drones
- camera sharing
- downstate mass transit security
- evacuation implementation and surface transportation security
- safety and security efforts for all public transportation providers
- inland waterways and port security
- bridge security
- rail security
- user outreach and training, including active shooter classes
- implementing National Incident Management System training
- coordinating with mass-transit agencies to implement security initiatives
- conducting annual critical transportation infrastructure security conferences
- developing and enhancing disaster aviation operations plans and disaster fuel response plans
- developing transportation system climate adaptation and vulnerability assessment response plans
Hanson is always looking for high-caliber additions to our team.
Click here to learn more about joining Hanson's FEMA team.