Cunningham water treatment plant demolition
The John W. Cunningham Water Treatment Plant is Corpus Christi’s first water plant. Built in 1893, the plant sits along 14 acres of the Nueces River. The facilities remained in service through numerous expansions over the years but were abandoned in 1988, when a new water treatment plant was built.
The riverside property that served as home to the plant is adjacent to the popular Labonte Park, which is visible to motorists as they drive into Corpus Christi from Interstate 37 South. The city of Corpus Christi saw an opportunity to double the park’s acreage and selected Hanson to provide professional engineering services for the former plant’s demolition. The expanded park will be the city’s largest and will feature enhanced recreation offerings and amenities for residents and visitors.
The project included the demolition of all existing facility components, structures, clearwells, piping, slabs and electrical equipment; disposal of debris; removal and proper disposal of hazardous materials; infill of demolition areas; site grading; and seeding for the conversion to green space for use as a public park.
Hanson reviewed record drawings and environmental reports, prepared construction drawings and bidding documents, and provided bidding and construction-phase support, as well as aerial drone photography, preliminary engineering, design, bidding and construction-phase support.
Hanson also worked with the city and contractor to coordinate a televised groundbreaking ceremony and drone photography before construction. Because the land was intended for use as a park, Hanson took special precautions to preserve the natural features of the area, including trees and the nearby river.